Founded in 2015, we are a progressive and technology-focused bookkeeping and accounting business utilising cloud-based software to challenge the norms of the accounting industry. We offer our clients an innovative approach for their bookkeeping and accounting needs. In 2017, Dexterous scooped the Best New Firm in the Australian Accounting Awards.
Purpose of Role
A Senior Accountant should be an extremely productive member of the team, managing work at volume. They should be technically proficient and be able to apply their knowledge across a range of scenarios.
The primary differences between an Intermediate and Senior Accountant is the level of independence, productivity, and knowledge.
A Senior Accountant is also expected to have a higher level of commercial knowledge. They should be aware of the client’s structure and profile and approach their work in a way that recognises this structure. They should also be able to provide support and guidance to Junior and Intermediates within their team.
- Supervises Intermediate and Junior Accountants
- Requires experience as a CPA or CMA
- Ability to guide and monitor other team members
- Ability to work autonomously and with limited supervision
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Accounts Payable – reviews payment list prepared by junior accountant, and loaded payment in bank. Reminds approvers to authorize payment processed
- Bank and Credit Card Reconciliation – review of bank transactions to ensure correct reconciliation, ensure transaction coded to right account,
- Payroll – New employee set up for clients’ employees’ payroll
- Final review of details in Xero
- Ensure 100% accuracy and completeness of all employee data, fax file declarations in Xero, bank account and super details are correct
- Final review of set up of annual leave and sick leave accrual and ensure everything is correct in accordance with employee contract
- Provide assistance during preparation of payroll, ensure payroll process is delivered on time to client and all instructions are included
- Provide assistance in technical payroll matters
- Create calculation templates to streamline process
- Management Reporting – Unadjusted and adjusted management report
- Assist in finalizing tasks for submission of report
- Ensure management report is sent to client on time
- Ensure no outstanding items sit in bank feed
- Reconcile items
- Review to ensure invoices are recorded and coded properly
- Provide assistance and guidance to team to deliver report to client on time
- Review report prior to submitting to Team Lead for approval
- Board reporting – monitor month end processes and final review of accounts before submission to Team Lead.
- Compliance – IAS, BAS, FBT, Payroll Tax, Superannuation, Payment Summaries
- Ensure compliance is on time to avoid unnecessary penalties to client
- Sending email reminder to clients to pay on time
- Final review of reports
- Submit reports to Client Manager for review
- Instruct Intermediate accountant to send group certificates to client for review and payment summaries to clients employees
- Assist Intermediate Accountant in finalizing workpapers and FBT returns before submitting to Team Lead
- Identifies process improvements in the clients’ business processes and recommends courses of action
- Supports the clients and their employees with accounting requirements
- Recognises and acknowledges the client and their employees needs
- Undertakes actions that meet the clients expectations
- Takes responsibility for response and outcomes
- Acts with integrity and professionalism in interacting with clients and co-employees
Problem Solving Ability
- Weighs pros and cons and impact of alternatives.
- Ability to work through client issues and provide appropriate recommendations to resolve.
- Able to prepare written responses for clients around compliance issues including the approach to resolving them.
- Undertakes optimal course of action keeping others informed when appropriate.
Process and continuous Improvement
- Suggests process improvements
- Contributes to team discussion relating to continuous improvements in business and procedures
- Actively encourage junior staff to contribute to discussions relating to business processes and procedures.
- Continually follow the standard processes and procedures of the organisation.
- Take actions to ensure team members follow standard processes and procedures.
- Report breakdowns or weaknesses in processes and procedures to management for review.
- Contribute to the preparation and improvement of standard processes and procedures.
- Ensure that work is prioritized in accordance with business priorities and instruct junior members to do same
- Ensure daily timesheets are accurately maintained and presented on a timely basis.
- Ensure on-time attendance to work in accordance with internal policies and procedures.
- Client Manager
- Intermediate Accountants
- Junior Accountants
- Governing Bodies
- Australian Taxation Office
- Professional Bodies
- Strong financial analysis skills
- Excellent time management skills;
- Matured and hardworking;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent organization and analytical skills;
- Able to work under pressure and achieve expected result
- Competent in the use of Xero,
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Officer Suite products including Word, Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Finance;
- 5+ years’ experience in the same capacity;
- Preferably CPA or CMA
- Working knowledge of financial reporting standards (PFRSs – in Phillippines)
- Knowledge and experience working with FBT, BAS, IAS, GST, payroll tax, group certificates, payment summaries, SGC, and Australian accounting practices
- Delegation:○ Allocating task responsibilities and decision-making authority to appropriate team members, optimizing their time and skills and potential for success.
- Mentoring:○ Sharing greater knowledge to support the development of junior employees.
- Accountability○ Takes personal accountability for one’s job and job functions
- Client Service Orientation○ Listens to and makes efforts to understand the clients needs; prioritizing client satisfaction.
- Communication:○ Constantly communicates in a team environment to ensure team members remain abreast of processes and task status.
- Initiative:○ Is proactive in the workplace and shows initiative to resolve tasks, escalating if necessary.
- Time Management:○ Ensures assignments are successfully completed and within expected timeframes.
- Team Work:○ Actively participates as a member of a team to help ensure that the team achieves its objectives.
"*" indicates required fields